Jane Williams, Head Chocolatier at Davenport's Chocolates takes you through everything you need to know to get the most out of your home chocolate Christmas Wreath making kit.
CHOCOLATE KIT CONTENTS: 0:17
- Large sheet of greaseproof paper
- X2 small sheets of greaseproof paper
- X2 piping bags (unfilled)
- X1 piping bag filled with truffle mixture
- X2 types of decorations
- Sparkle powder and small brush
- Chocolate truffles
- Large bag of chocolate ‘buttons’
- Chocolate spheres
STAGE 1: PIPING THE TRUFFLES: 0:55
- Prepare the piping bag with the truffle mixture in, by microwaving for 10 seconds or until soft. Alternatively, by using a clip to seal the end and briefly placing in warm water to soften until soft.
- Twist the open end of the piping bag and then cut the tip to leave a 3mm hole.
- Pipe the truffle mixture into the spheres by placing the nozzle of the piping bag down into the sphere and gently squeezing from the twisted end. Do not overfill the spheres – aim to leave a concave ‘well’ to the top of each.
- Tap the tray of truffles on the table to settle the mixture. Then top up any that may require it.
- Place the spheres in the fridge to set.
STAGE 2: MELTING THE CHOCOLATE FOR THE DECORATIONS: 5:00
MELTING THE CHOCOLATE:
- Place approximately a 1/3 of the chocolate buttons into a heatproof bowl. Heat gently, in a stepwise fashion with occasional, light stirring. NB: please see video for full tips on this process.
- Either heat over a bain-marie (heated water in a large pan) or step by step in a microwave – stirring to distribute the heat.
- You are looking for the point at which about 1/3 of the buttons remain – these can be gently stirred in and will melt due to the heat of the already melted buttons. By this method the chocolate will retain its temper and should set with a sheen. (The buttons provided are pre-tempered).
- NB: Do not overheat. If you have a thermometer you are looking to not let the temperature over 32’. If you do not have a thermometer, take a small spoon and test the temperature in your mouth – it should feel very slightly cooler than your mouth’s temperature!
- If using a microwave, (on average) heat for 30 seconds, 30 seconds, 20 seconds, 20 seconds, 10 seconds
FILLING THE PIPING BAG: 9:41
- Open the end of one of the piping bags, and place this into a cup to allow it to stand.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the piping bag.
- Holding the open end of the piping bag, lift with the thin end facing down and give a gentle shake to force the chocolate to the end.
- Twist the open end and place the twist in you preferred hand, in the crook of your finger and thumb.
- Trim the tip to leave a 3mm hole.
PIPING THE DECORATIONS: 11:00
- Work quickly and confidently to pipe over the stencil designs.
- If you stop or rest – hold the piping bag with the tip facing upwards.
- Aim for x2 sheets of your chosen piped chocolate decorations.
SEALING THE TRUFFLES: 16:06
- Piping from the centre of the ‘hole’ – pipe a small puddle of chocolate that seals the top of each of the truffles.
STAGE 3: PLANNING THE ARRANGEMENT: 17:04
It is crucial to the success of stage 4 that you plan and arrange the various elements ready to add them as you will be working with a chocolate base that will only stay molten for a limited amount of time.
STAGE 4: THE BASE: 18:52
THE CHOCOLATE BASE
- Add at least another 1/3 of the original bag of chocolate provided to any chocolate left in your heatproof bowl.
- Melt using the same method as per Stage 2: Melting the chocolate.
- Prepare the piping bag in the same fashion previously.
- Trim the end of the piping bag to approximately a 10mm hole.
- Pipe a large circle (approximately 30cm) repeatedly until the chocolate is used.
PLACING THE DECORATIONS: 21:36
- Try and work quickly and confidently before the chocolate sets.
- Place the truffle spheres with the capped side facing down into the molten chocolate base.
- Arrange the piped decorations between the spheres.
- Add the small decorations provided by sprinkling from above.
STAGE 5: DRY BRUSHING THE SPHERES: 24:36
- Using the small brush provided, dab the brush into the sparkle powder provided.
- Gently brush small amounts on to the truffle spheres to give them a Christmas bauble look.
We really hope this video has been helpful. We'd love to see pictures of your creations - so do post on social media and tag us on any relevant platforms. We can't always give specific help to individual queries, but if you have a comment or question that would help others, please leave it below. Thank you.